Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

{30 Book Challenge} 1st and 2nd Book Reviews

It's not a secret that I love to read! It's a passion of mine that I need to fine more time for! So, for this year I gave myself a little reading challenge! Not that I don't read now, just that I want to have a goal to work towards and I want to read more!
.
I thought it would be fun to do very mini book reviews on the blog, so that if you're looking for a book, you can see if the ones I read grab your attention!! I love to find book bloggers and see their thoughts on books and so forth! So I made this fun little book rating system and will post and review each book I read!!

I've read two books so far, so here are my thoughts.....

{1st Book}
My first pick was The Cuckoo's Calling. It's a crime fiction novel by J. K. Rowling, published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. I chose it mainly due to it being written by Rowling, seeing how I'm a fan of hers. I really hadn't heard a great deal about it, so going in I didn't know what to expect. It centers around a character that we never actually meet, think a Paris Hilton/Kardashian type girl. Her death starts the book and so beings the mystery!! It was a pretty good read that keeps you guessing to the end!! I bought it on the Kindle so I didn't realize how long it was, but ya it's kinda long!
officially give it 4 stars!!

{2nd Book}
Next up I chose Loving Frank! I had never heard of this book until one of my favorite book bloggers blogged about it. If you don't already follow hollywood housewife then you should. She blogs about everything, books being one! She had read this book and posted this about it....
I cannot remember a time when I have ever told someone to google the ending of a book before they read it. But that's just what I'm going to tell you to do. Please google Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney before you read Loving Frank by Nancy Horan so that you're not sit-up-in-bed horrified, like I was.
If you really like to live on the edge, then by all means just read your little heart away without googling. 'Cause it's a great book. A really interesting look at the early love affairs of Frank Lloyd Wright. When he abandoned his wife and children to take up with the wife of a client, it was scandalous. Even now that would be scandalous. And yet, I knew nothing about Frank Lloyd's personal affairs. This story is so outlandish, it doesn't even seem true. Why the general public doesn't know these things about Mr. Wright, I don't quite understand. It's really remarkable that we don't say, "Frank Lloyd Wright, the most famous American architect? You know, the one who ____" That is how crazy this story is.
If you liked The Paris Wife (and I did), then you will really devour Loving Frank. Historical fiction, well-written, and culturally relevant. But by all means, prepare yourself for the ending.
This grabbed my attention for two reason....(1) I LOVED The Paris Wife...I read it last year I think with my book club and became very interested in Ernest Hemingway, and (2) I really enjoy reading historical fiction. So I bought it and went to town. Like her, I really didn't even know who Frank Lloyd Wright was much less anything about his life, but I was sucked in and finished it in about four days! It's really good...it did get a little boring right around the middle, and I may have skimmed some pages, but overall I enjoyed it! For me it was about 4.5 stars, but I think you need to like this genre to read it. 
**And just to note, I did NOT Google the ending!**

So, there are my first two books of the year! So far so good....I would love to hear your thoughts on these two if you've read them and I would also love for some of your favorite book recommendation!!

HAPPY READING!!


1 comment:

Rachel Schafer said...

I just finished ready 3 books by Paul Pilkington. It was a suspense mystery trilogy. I started them because the first one was free on Kindle so I thought 'what the heck' and they were good! They probably weren't the best book I have ever written but they captured my interest and I finished all 3 within 2 weeks. They are 'The One you Love', The One You Fear' and "The One You Trust.'