Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

{30 Book Challenge} 8th & 9th Book Reviews, plus weekend Fun

Before I get to some book reviews, I wanted to recap our weekend! We have been practicing with an academy soccer team and they asked Lane to be a guest player in some upcoming tournaments! So bright and early Saturday morning, we were on our way to Grapevine for our very first soccer tourney!! We are entering uncharted waters here and yet we can't wait!! We have another tourney this weekend!!

In between the soccer games, we were in baseball playoffs! We won our first game on Friday night but sadly lost out Saturday morning! Our team did great this season, and I'm sad it's over because I've made some really sweet friends on this team, and so did Lane!!


So, sports kept us super busy Saturday, but we had all day Sunday to relax!! Ok, so some book reviews!

My 8th book was surprised by motherhood by Lisa-Jo Baker. I've seen this pop up on feeds and such, so I gave it a whirl. It focus's on Lisa's life, how she lost her own mother very young, how she thought she never wanted kids, and then ending up having kids and her journey with them. It was a light and quick read but and I enjoyed the story but wasn't overly into it. It was very hard for me to relate to her, so maybe that had something to do with it. Overall ok, but not wonderful. 3 stars.

Next up was Sisterland. I picked this up on a whim while at Costco last week! From the beginning I was hooked...a like-able young middle aged mom of two, a twin (which I loved peeking into a twins mind), a little bit of mystery thrown in. The plot line was very interesting. The sisters have "senses" and one predicts a major natural disaster, all the while lots of family plot lines going on, some might say too many at one time, but I enjoyed it! As the story built, I couldn't put it down! I was so drawn in, and then the story-line took a very wild turn, one I didn't see coming, and the ending just mystified me!! Not believable at all and left me unfulfilled!! It was the weirdest thing and I wished so badly I was still in my book club b/c I desperately needed someone to discuss this with! So now I'm not so sure how I feel about it overall....I liked it and then the ending made it weird for me, if that makes sense! I would recommend it but be warned! 3 stars.


I can't believe we are so close to the end of the school year!! Lot's of school related events are coming up and summer prep is in the works!!

post signature

No comments: